[lbo-talk] conspiracism, CIA, unions

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 22 10:48:36 PST 2003

To the extent that you and Chip Berlet agree or concede that '...this means that conspiracies don't happen, or that they are trivial; only that they aren't the motor of history" then we are in agreement. But then, there is no one phenomenon or process that is the 'motor or history'. The currents of history are driven by a combination of factors, of which 'conspiratorial machinations' are one..... no? What Berlet and Co. do is overstate the reliance on so-called 'conspiratorial' methodoligies and pretend that it is a one track approach for people categorized thusly, when in fact such researchers marshall an array of methodologies, including good old structural analysis. What Berlet does is to consistently wave his rhetorical wand of 'scapegoating, anti-semitic, conspiracy theories' to try to discredit legitimate research.

Whether one is called a conspiracy theorist or not has more to do with what questions one asks than any innate characteristics. Take Gary Webb lately of the San Jose Mercury News. An award winning mainstream journalist who was branded a 'conspiracy theorist' because he strayed off the prescribed path and raised questions of 'government involvement' in running drugs. The list of people unfairly branded this way is long.

Joe W.