[lbo-talk] Power Elite Members Conspire

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 22 14:28:58 PST 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:31:46 -0500, Bob Feldman <bob_jan at xensei.com> wrote:

> REPLY: Perhaps the above writer should check out C. Wright Mills' book,
> The
> Power Elite" or read more about COINTELPRO operations of the U.S.
> Corporate
> State?.

hehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH;- )

Thank gawd, I delayed swallowing a gulp of vanilla coke, before I read that Or I'd have spat it out on today's NYT.

Bob, everyone here, is far from a novice newbie to leftist writers esp. such as C. Wright Mills and the Ward Churchill books on COINTELPRO. You aren't teaching a class of jr. high students who would benefit from, "Marx for Beginners." Though I think you would. I can't think of all the zillions of treatments of the New Left by such as Theodore Roszak to pick an example in his, "Making of a Counter-Culture, " from the mid-60's that summarize Marcuse, Mills and Paul Goodman. We've read Mills, directly, as well. What you need to do however, is sit down w/ stacks of journals like New Left Review, Monthly Review, Foreign Affairs, the NYRB, The Nation, The New Republic, Weekly Standard, National Review, Review of Radical Political Economics, World Policy Journal, Foreign Policy, Commentary, Dissent, New Politics, Journal of Palestine Studies, Foreign Policy In Focus, Review (the Wallersteinian Braudel Center journal), Science & Society (a longtime marxist journal), and read books like this, by former NSC policy makers/analysts, " The Age of Sacred Terror, " by Daniel Benjamin and Steven Simon and on the Taliban and al-Quaeda, REAPING THE WHIRLWIND - Revised Edition Al Qa'ida and the Holy War by Michael Griffin , "Inside al- Qaeda, " by Ronan Gunaratna and a Guardian/Observer writer, Jason Burke on Al-Quaeda. -- Michael Pugliese