[lbo-talk] Henwood in Philadelphia, maybe

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Sun Nov 23 13:13:51 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Jon Johanning wrote:
>
>> On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 01:02 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a total publicity slut, so if any of you have an organization
>>> that would buy me a plane ticket, I'm happy to appear.
>>
>> How about Philly? You don't even need a plane ticket.
>
> If you can suggest a venue or an org that might issue an invitation,
> I'm there. I don't have the time to do that work myself, and I think
> I've pretty much tapped out the New Press's publicity resources.

I don't know what your requirements would be, but House of Our Own Books, on the 3900 block of Spruce Street, has had a lot of left authors come by and deliver talks (like Alex Cockburn, Christopher Hitchens back in the day, and Ed Herman fairly frequently). They're at (215) 222-1576 , 3920 Spruce St., and they're on the campus at the University of Pennsylvania.

Also on Penn campus is the White Dog, a restaurant which hosts a lot of progressive events, and they have a tchotchkes store adjacent called the Black Cat where your books could be made available. They're also up the block from an independent bookstore which might be better for the sales'n'signing, but they're also around the corner from the University's bookstore, a Barnes'n'Nobble. They're on the 3400 block of Sansom, and their website is http://www.whitedog.com/.

Further west and south, there's the A-space, an anarchist meeting spot, but it's not a bookstore. The anarchist bookstore in our area is Wooden Shoe Books, at 5th street near South. http://www.woodenshoebooks.com/

I'd come out and buy a copy, but that that might be a _dis_incentive to come to the Birthplace of Liberty.