[lbo-talk] Henwood in Philadelphia, maybe

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Nov 23 19:41:00 PST 2003

On Sunday, November 23, 2003, at 04:13 PM, Brian Siano wrote:

> I don't know what your requirements would be, but House of Our Own
> Books, on the 3900 block of Spruce Street, has had a lot of left
> authors come by and deliver talks (like Alex Cockburn, Christopher
> Hitchens back in the day, and Ed Herman fairly frequently). They're at
> (215) 222-1576 , 3920 Spruce St., and they're on the campus at the
> University of Pennsylvania.
>
> Also on Penn campus is the White Dog, a restaurant which hosts a lot
> of progressive events, and they have a tchotchkes store adjacent
> called the Black Cat where your books could be made available. They're
> also up the block from an independent bookstore which might be better
> for the sales'n'signing, but they're also around the corner from the
> University's bookstore, a Barnes'n'Nobble. They're on the 3400 block
> of Sansom, and their website is http://www.whitedog.com/.
>
> Further west and south, there's the A-space, an anarchist meeting
> spot, but it's not a bookstore. The anarchist bookstore in our area is
> Wooden Shoe Books, at 5th street near South.
> http://www.woodenshoebooks.com/

These are all good suggestions. House of Our Own will get the Penn crowd; if you want the Center City contingent, there is Robin's Bookstore (of course, we are all boycotting Borders).

While in town, a gig on 'HYY's Radio Times is a must. And of course there's Terry Gross, fresh from her smack-down of the Fox Beast, what's-his-name. But Doug can chat with her anytime without leaving NY, since she interviews her guests long-distance.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax