[lbo-talk] Re: Sex and the City

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Nov 24 12:58:46 PST 2003

"But really, perhaps some people on this list can help enlighten me why Sex and the City is such a big deal? It's shown on subscription satellite TV in Malaysia -- and maybe I'm puritanical, but I can't bear to watch for more than a few minutes before wanting to puke."

I have no idea why it's a big deal in other countries. I have an obligatory dinner with my mom every Sunday, and we (my sister, my mom and I) wind up watching it afterwards. So far as I'm concerned, it's like eating potatoe chips--nutrition, 0, but addictive. I guess it's mostly interesting for the fashion show. I agree that the characters are vapid and the zeitgeist, obscene. I suppose all the women talking about sex and having a different partner every other show is interesting to some.

Joanna