[lbo-talk] Alert

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 24 16:27:26 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:13:55 -0800, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> No! This is an instance where the old maxim applies, an injury to one is
> an injury to all. As repulsive as ANSWER can be, the FBI doesn't make
> fine distinctions between Them and Us.
>
> Doug

Yup, no matter how repulsive these tankies are, as the growing gulf between their delusions to leadership of the anti-war movement (which does not given our inbred inability to aspire to breaking out of self-imposed ideological and lifestylist ghettos, represent the true broad, extent of mass disgust w/ the war) begins to dawn on the periphery and whatever new cadre they have recruited, they will wither to the insignificance they deserve.

On the FBI and Reds, btw, Ted Morgan, a pop biographer (his life of Jay Lovestone was informative but, did not reflect any concrete feel for the Communist or anti-Communist mileaus) has a new volume, quite hefty, entitled, "Reds." Just read the bits on the towel snapping of Roy Cohn and G. David Schine while on their tour of Europe to purge the libraries of VOA of fellow travellers books. Morgan's epilogue has a bit on the Dubya admin. deceptions on Saddam and WMD and backs up other left-liberal books of the season like David Corn and Joe Conason. He reaches widely in the book, benefitting from the assistance of both ex-Communists and Red hunters like Herbert Romerstein. The Venona Secrets: Exposing Soviet Espionage and America's Traitors -- Herbert Romerstein, Eric Breindel; Paperback AlterNet: Pipe Dreams and Promises ... Eric Breindel, the conservative New York Post editorial page editor who died from complications from his heroin addiction, has a scholarship named after him ... http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15353 -- Michael Pugliese