[lbo-talk] re. free trade is popular (cont.)

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 24 17:44:47 PST 2003

Todd!

>>You may be reading something into what I wrote that is
>>not there.
[...]
>That one phrase, "end the nationalism" just struck me as,
>well, a bit effusive, maybe? A little too optimistic?
>So I was wondering where you were coming from, what made
>you state that observation. Do tell, please.

Sure...

"Effusive" is a good word. That's why I brought up something like the UDHR. Also "effusive."

Canada scored top of the chart on the Pew survey -- 87% or something. That is high.

I'm not writing a paper on it, here, so take it all in the general conversational stride intended.

That is, there is existent, amongst the majority of people, as defined by some previous delineations I've made, a trend toward international standards... (You know, you force one into making "legal definitions," you end up with "legal arguments" and then the fun of the thing is gone.)

Canada scored 87% for a reason. And it's not some conspiracy on the part of the business press to make non-business people like it. There are a variety of principles at play in the general GTA (Greater Toronto Area) population that cause people to live together in coexistence.

There are plenty of exceptions, especially when you get away from cosmopolitan centres. And some Brampton MPPs.

>I don't know how Toronto's economy's been lately. Maybe it's
>growing enough to keep everyone but a tiny minority of hardcore
>bigots content.

That's okay by me. That's the great thing about co-existence: It kills bigotry. Marching together creates acceptance where there were differences. And living together, even under capitalist conditions, can do the same. One generation of that, and suddenly they aren't immigrants anymore.

>Heh. I just got to wondering how SARS impacted race relations
>in Toronto. Found this:

Now THIS is conspiracy. Ottawa municipal propaganda against the real capital of Canada, Toronto.

As to SARS: I have not ever seen one thing about it being race-oriented -- not in Toronto, not in Oakville, not in Milton, not in Hamilton, not in Ajax. ZERO. If some dickhead MPP said something, you can't help that.

The only unifying "national hatred" that came out of SARS was against CNN for showing Americans the same photos of some hospital staff wearing masks during the height of the "crisis." (Which was really not a "crisis," outside the media, the medical professionals were terrific.)

Ken.

-- I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place.

-- Steven Wright