[lbo-talk] Re: December column

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 24 23:25:18 PST 2003

We're so familiar with it that we sometimes forget that the conception of deity that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam inherit from the religion of ancient Israel is rather sharply at odds with the usual way of thinking about gods. Yhwh (a form of the verb "to be" with a sense of futurity -- roughly "I am what will be") is not a god in the normal sense of the word, where gods are at base fertility symbols. Unlike the gods, Yhwh has no sex and no consort. As the figure in whose name the social revolution of the Exodus is carried out, Yhwh indicates that in terms of the priest-kings of the ancient world and the gods who were their guarantors, ancient Israel begins in atheism and anarchism. (That's what the Hebrew bible is all about -- an extended multiple mediation on a peculiar way of thinking about the divine.) --CGE