[lbo-talk] Re: December column

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Mon Nov 24 23:55:12 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 1:10 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: December column

> I wrote...
> God has a penis? Then why does he need the holy ghost?
>
> Jon wrote
> To go "Boo!" and frighten all the little kids.
>
> Actually, I was thinking more along the lines that it's the holy ghost
that impregnates Mary...

> ....right? Any catholics out there?

Hey Joanna. Well, as I was instructed during my catechism days, it was not an impregnation -- it was an Immaculate Conception. And I most certainly never remember the holy ghost being involved there...it was more like a grace or edict from God or something. You can probably think of Mary as an "Ofgod" handmaid vehicle like the women trained in the re-education center of the new US totalitarian regime in Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale." :)

Diane