[lbo-talk] Bertrand Russell on JFK

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Nov 26 09:29:57 PST 2003

Hi,

So, Joe, your answer is "No" since the quote is just another complaint about how the "official version" is flawed. It is not a full-blown theory of who killed Kennedy. Thanks for being so clear and honest.

Now then, who was it that first promoted a full-blown theory of who killed Kennedy and where did it appear?

And just to cut to the chase, since so many people are tired of this, the answer is that the people on the "left" who blamed the CIA (such as Mark Lane) often ended up in bed with the people on the right who blamed the CIA, and they slipped off the sheets into the tarpit of anti-Jewish conspiracy theories, which were a subtext of the McCarthy allegations about the CIA, the State Department, and Big Business "elites." And these, in turn, are echoes of the basic set of anti-elite conspiracy theories rooted in the attack on the enlightenment and the anti-clerical disestablishment views of the Illuminati and Freemasons in the 1790s--which in turn were converted into the hoax document The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion in the early 1900s.

This is why I say these anti-elite conspiracy theories are objectively right-wing junk.

And for the record, I researched a chapter in an assassination book in the 1970s, The Assassination Please Almanac. My task was to retrace the Warren Commission research at the Library of Congress and show how it was seriously flawed both on methodological and analytical grounds when it claimed that most political assassinations in the U.S. had not been tied to a political struggle and were carried out by lone gunman. They were only able to do this be not seeing the political basis of assassinations during Reconstruction and Redemption after the Civil War. So I will argue that I have done more substantive research and more actually published research on political assassinations than you have.

I have always welcomed and called for the full release of government documents concerning all the major political assassinations in the 1960s. I even hosted Phil Ochs and A.J. Weberman in my apartment while they attended the national Yippie conference on "Who stole Kennedy's brain?" This included the memorable Kennedy Brain Drain demonstration at the National Archives. A.J. stayed at my apartment in Washington, D.C. for many weeks while researching and writing his (lurid, exotic, unbelievable) book on the Kennedy assassination (we are still friends despite my critique of his book).

All of this is easy to establish because it is all in print in various articles and book chapter I have written. So I have to say either you are a lousy researcher, or you just like to demonize, insult, and misrepresent the facts about people who disagree with you.

Confusionist? Bah! Humbug!

Chip Berlet Senior Analyst Political Research Associates http://www.publiceye.org