[lbo-talk] Re: Radical Left Critique Of Nation Article

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Nov 26 10:02:00 PST 2003

Kelley writes:

"The parochial sense of entitlement and snobbery exacerbates the problem."

...or IS the problem...such as most of us live it. My daughter (caucasian) goes to a public school that is 80% black. It's actually an excellent school and, to make a story short, I'll leave out the reasons why. One block away from it, is one of the priciest private schools in the bay area. A few years ago, they asked for the use of our auditorium for a school function/dance. They said that about 150 people would be using it. They gave my school a nominal amount for extra janitorial help. Over 500 people showed up. They refused to leave at the appointed time; they could not be made to understand that they would be responsible for helping to clean up. They totally trashed the place.

I have enough money to send my daughter to a private school, but I am resisting it with all my strength because I don't want her to grow up learning those values. Fuck them and their asshole meritocracy.

Joanna