[lbo-talk] Radical Left Critique Of Nation Article

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 26 16:39:02 PST 2003

Woj, my yrs. at UCSC were from '81-'85. I stayed in Santa Cruz till late '86. The militant Watsonville cannery workers strike had UCSC student support. Carrol Cox org. League of Revolutionary Struggle played a sectarian role, too, of coarse, which bugged folks like the old New Lefty Frank Bardacke, who was active in strike support, to no end. A brilliant friend of mine, Scott Durham, joined LRS then. He told me once over burgers and fries, "Even social democrats like you should buy a pit bull to protect yourself from the State." I said I was a Beagle Man. Scott was once alluded to by Harold Bloom, in a piece in the NYT Sunday Magazine on Yale Grad Student Organizing (paraphrase), "This obnoxious marxist grad student is..." http://www.sup.org/cgi-bin/search/book_desc.cgi?book_id=3071%203336 Phantom Communities The Simulacrum and the Limits of Postmodernism Scott Durham