[lbo-talk] Radical Left Critique Of Nation Article

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 26 06:40:32 PST 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

>Why do I never see stuff like this in radical papers? No one can
>bother to crunch the numbers? Anything short of total revolution is
>useless? What? I found this little calculation shocking and
>illuminating. It is often suggested that because of the great number
>of poor and the small number of the rich, re-distributing wealth
>would amount to miniscule gains for the poor -- Henry Ford is often
>quoted in illustration "Here's your nickel!" The facts show
>something very different. So thanks Doug for doing your homework and
>writing a book that is readable and an excellent source of basic
>data about the wonders of the new economy.

Thanks. Sadly much of the left media isn't about analyzing or informing, but about moralizing and exhorting. My host in SF, Joel Schalit, told me that he was looking through the program of the European Social Forum and found lots of sessions to be about serious thinking. We don't do much of that here, I'm sorry to say.

Doug