[lbo-talk] From The Pop Culture And Marketing File: That Damn Cat

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 11:53:10 PST 2003

...holiday means more time with family which means, in turn, more time with everyone's loud, drunk uncle, television...

I'm probably wrong (industry insiders and ornery cusses feel free to correct me) but I don't believe I've ever witnessed a film with as many cross-marketing balls in the air as "Cat In The Hat".

Today I watched in one sitting of not more than 40 minutes:

* An ad showing the Cat merrily shopping using his VISA card

* An ad showing the Cat, along with Thing One and Thing Two riding the foofernuphle or whatever the hell it was, using a whole family of cleaning products to whimsically spic and span-ify a home.

* An ad showing the Cat and the kids using the drive through at a Burger King to replenish lost fat and carb supplies.

* An ad showing the Cat (the suit was quite awful in this spot) drinking some super-sugar drink which apparently makes children yell and run as if they're fleeing the Bulls of Pamplona.

and so on...

Of course, the dialogue or narration rhymes in all of these commericials. Do I need another reason to reach for the Absolut? The "Cat In The Hat" juggernaut marketers seem to think so.

Remember the inverse square law? Listen, just play along and pretend if you don't. Let's mangle it for fun: the worse a film is, the greater the number of ad tie-ins produced.

First the Grinch disaster and now this.

At this rate, producer Brian Grazer, with the assistance of Ted Geisel (Dr. Seuss)'s widow, will work through the whole Seuss canon one very bad, very expensive film at a time.

At the present rate of grave spinning speed I expect the good Dr's carcass to collapse into a black hole anytime now.

DRM