[lbo-talk] Re: Callinicoss-Negri

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 30 07:57:16 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

>dave dorkin wrote:
>
>>I have heard Callinicos speak and he is far from being
>>some "leninoid university lecturer." Ridiculous.
>
>When I saw him at Zizek's Lenin conference in Essen, Feb 2001, he
>wasn't dull as a performer so much as dull as an analyst.

I've never heard Alex Callinicos speak, nor Antonio Negri, for that matter, so I can't comment on their respective public speaking skills.

I looked up photographs of Callinicos, found one at <http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/poli/staff/atc.htm>, and decided that he needs a make-over.

So does Terry Eagleton, whose style and appearance are uncannily similar to Callinicos's: <http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20011104/spectrum/wars.jpg>.

How about the Queer Eye for the Marxist Guy?

Antonio Negri, in my view, is an Alvin Toffler + Jeremy Rifkin of the post-Soviet left, but he is nowadays (unlike in his photos from the 70s!) somewhat easier on the eye than Callinicos: <http://www.chilevive.cl/especial/imperio/img/negri.jpg>.

In any case, it appears that Europe is short on female left-wing celebrities -- those who attended the ESF have something to say about George Galloway vs. Rahul Mahajan, Alex Callinicos vs. Antonio Negri, etc., but I haven't seen reports that treat female intellectuals' ideas as seriously as debates between male celebs. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>