[lbo-talk] Re: Callinicoss-Negri

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 30 08:30:13 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>In any case, it appears that Europe is short on female left-wing
>celebrities -- those who attended the ESF have something to say
>about George Galloway vs. Rahul Mahajan, Alex Callinicos vs. Antonio
>Negri, etc., but I haven't seen reports that treat female
>intellectuals' ideas as seriously as debates between male celebs.

Again drawing on my experience in Essen, there were only two female presenters out of a cast of nineteen: one was Slavoj's love interest at the time, and the other was reading a paper by Alain Badiou (who couldn't make it). Talking to a couple of German female grad students after the event, they told me it was the norm for a European conference.

Doug