[lbo-talk] Bush, ISI, ideology, etc

marc rodrigues marc36 at graffiti.net
Sun Nov 30 08:27:37 PST 2003

I was flipping through the channels last night when I came across c-span, which was showing an "ISI gala". I happened to come across it right at the moment where a taped message from dubya bush was playing. what I heard was pretty damn amazing. the text of what he said is here: http://www.mmisi.org/galatext/president_address.pdf

this raises a few questions in my mind:

-who/what is the ISI? are they just rank white supremacists ("Western Civilization, Our Philosophical and Moral Tradition")? what does bush mean when he says that they are pushing this crap on students and teachers (their website includes the quote, "Education means not merely the imparting of information to the mind but the shaping of the mind and of the personality"... woah...)? what relationship does the ISI have with colleges and/or high schools, or determining or influencing curriculum?

-does bush (and people like him) actually comprehend all this stuff about markets and "free enterprise", or is it just understood as something that "people like him" are supposed to say?

-how does the right believe its own garbage about leftist media and leftist indoctrination at the campuses, if its so obvious that all 3 branches of government and so much more is so firmly in their pocket? this is like having the president speaking at some monthly review forum on imperialism. if this "bias" does indeed exist, it's apparently not doing a very good job at convincing anybody or changing anything.

-- _______________________________________________ Graffiti.net free e-mail @ www.graffiti.net Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for just US$9.95 per year!