[lbo-talk] Other social indicators for economic collapse

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 2 12:21:30 PDT 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

>I'm curious about what the current research says about social
>indicators relating to economic downturns. We've all seen the stats
>on layoffs and unemployment, but what kind of other social and
>economic measures are there that indicate how people are reacting to
>bad economic times? How about the news about increases in drug use?
>Gang activity? Coffee sales at Starbucks?

I think crime rates respond only slowly to economic turns. But there are lots of things that respond more quickly. Suicide rates rise, death rates in general rise. Probably more psychological problems too. Sustained unemployment takes a nasty physical and mental toll. But such indicators are generally reported infrequently and with a lag, so it'll be a while before we'll be able to confirm it.

Doug