[lbo-talk] hitch forgot to mention the spat on soldiers myth!

Jacob Conrad jakub at att.net
Sat Oct 4 11:01:11 PDT 2003

Stephen E Philion wrote:

>--hitch forgot to throw in references to the myth of the spat upon
>soldiers returning home from broken wars...he shoulda said something
>like, "let's not be like the hippies who spat on the Vietnam
>vets!"...that woulda really won the crowd to his appeal...When hitch
>starts mentioning spat upon soldiers...then he'll have completed his
>transition to lunacy...
>
>steve

The fact that anything so preposterous as the "spat upon soldiers" myth even requires a labored refutation is telling in itself. Some people will believe anything. The setting for this fable is usually an airport. My father was an army colonel serving stateside during Vietnam, and I can remember as a kid tagging along with my mom to pick him up at various airports, including Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Memphis, and several other places, as he traveled about the country in full uniform. I never saw any hippie wrong-os hanging around the gates waiting to shower uniformed soldiers with drool. More to the point, whenever you went to an airport in those days, the place was invariably full of guys in uniform. Anyone who lurked about waiting to shoot gobs of spit at any of them would have to be very brave AND very stupid. It's the U.S. version of the Weimar-era "Dolchstoss" legend.

Jacob Conrad