[lbo-talk] Ran HaCohen: The Abuse of Anti-Semitism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Oct 5 15:02:56 PDT 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Jon Johanning wrote:

> > Nowadays, anti-semitism is a taboo and a criminal offence in every
> > developed country on earth.
>
> Hate to pick a nit in a generally excellent article, but in what sense
> is anti-Semitism a criminal offense in the U.S.? Activities -- "hate
> crimes" -- yes, but verbal statements and peaceful demonstrations,
> marches, etc., of anti-Semitism are constitutionally protected, no?

Yep. By every developed country on earth he means every country in Europe and assumes the US is the same.

This is a characteristic mistake made by European Jews, which HaCohen partially is. They also can't believe we don't have police stationed in front of all our major synagogues. Every country in Europe does.

In short, they really have no conception that Jewish Americans, unlike Jews in every other country in the world, don't have an Us/They relation with their country -- they are part of the Us. And Americans, Jews and Goys both, really can't believe it's subjectively different elsewhere. We both think the other side is deluded or in bad faith rather than that they have different categories of perception.

I used to think I'd write a book about that someday, and how it explains the unique relation the US has with Israel. But then of course I woke up and thought My God, my whole non-career has been devoted towards making my life easy -- why on earth would I write a book about policy towards Israel
:o)

Michael