[lbo-talk] Re: Queer Eye 4 the Straight Guy

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 6 13:23:44 PDT 2003

BklynMagus wrote:

>Dear List:
>
>I wonder how popular this show would be: Black Eye for the White Guy in which 5 African-Americans dote
>on a white male, making both him and his home over. When they are through, they are wisked out of sight to watch on video the object of their transformation go forth into public. Safely removed from the public arena (and any chance for visibility or public recognition), they end each episode toasting the success of their just finished project and eagerly looking forward to their next chance to serve.

With a television audience of millions looking on.

>I am not sure that this show does anything other than reinforce the heteronormative notion that queers exist to serve non-queers -- we beautify their homes, their bodies. We provide entertainment.

SNL did a neat parody the other night: "Queer Eye for the Straight Gal," where a quintet of humorless, style-deficient lesbians was brought in to rework a straight woman's lifestyle. One recommended a series of plaid-flannel shirts for evening wear, day wear, around-the-house-wear, etc. Another, in Co-Op Girl regalia, recited excruciating poetry about her womb, another speculated on the hardwood floor in the apartment, and another kept throwing a softball about the place. When the straight girl made a joke, the lesbians got REAL quiet and scolded her for her insensitivity.

//