[lbo-talk] Did Rush's Drug Habit Cause His Hearing Loss?

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 07:38:11 PDT 2003

--- budge <budge at el-pleasant.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 at 7:49am mike larkin wrote:
> >
> > Reported by who?
>
> IIRC, one of the physicians involved in his
> treatment spoke
> on the record with his permission. probably a liar
> though,
> and willing to risk a career at a high visibilty
> clinic to
> cover for ass-pimple...
>
> > Who knows what's true, but it's reasonable to
> speculate,
> > given Rush's vehement attacks on drug users.
> Remember that
> > his weight loss was originally attributed to diet,
> but
> > drug abuse is now a likely cause. Lies and the
> lying
> > liars who tell them!
>
> no, it is not reasonable, it makes one look like,
> well, a limbot.
>
> that is my objection to this sort of crap. you end
> up
> looking even more vile than Rush...
>
> BTW, you snipped this:
>
> <quote=me>
> what's no excuse? excuse for what, using drugs?
> why is an
> excuse required? i hate 'liberal' moralizing at
> least as
> much as i hate 'conservative' moralizing...
> </quote>
>
> don't you find joe baby's moralizing a bit limp?

Well, you may be right, but based on my own experience with--ahem--substance issues, I can say that addicts will got to virtually any length to hide their abuse. The level of lying and deception I engaged in, often with the willing or unwilling collusion of people in high authority, is in retrospect truly breathtaking. That is why I'm sympathetic to the view that most of Rush's behavior can be attributed to his substance issues. I've been there.