[lbo-talk] dixor

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Oct 7 07:39:16 PDT 2003

From: "Brian Charles Dauth" :
:

1. Regarding sexual identities. Most cultures that I have read about seem to have sexual identities of some sort. Issues of sexual expression and identity seem to be a part of all human experience. Homosexual identities, acts and homophobia existed long before capitalism came on the scene and in societies that are not capitalist. To claim that homosexual identity and homophobia are products of capitalism is just historically inaccurate -- an example of what I referred to earlier as the desexualizing tendencies of some Marxist thought.

CB: Isn't it Foucault, not Marxists, who made the historical study and claim that homosexual identity arises with capitalism , and that prior same sex relationships were not "homosexual" ? For example, ancient Greek high society was not homosexual. Well, I guess Foucault was a Marxist part of his career, but I took it that this claim historicizing homosexuality/heterosexuality was exactly sexualizing radical thought.