Historical Query (in semantics) Re: [lbo-talk] Prefect Rice

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 7 09:49:29 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> this running dog

I can't remember the first noun in the phrase now, but "X [scabs?] and running dogs" was widely used in China for a half century or so, and I've always wondered about the literal reference of "running dogs." (It's possible that the translator substituted a western equivalent of the original Chinese -- I don't know.) The best guess I've made or heard is that it refers to the decorative dogs (coach dogs) that accompany the carriage of an aristocrat. Dwayne uses the phrase here, so perhaps he can answer my question.

Carrol