Historical Query (in semantics) Re: [lbo-talk] Prefect Rice

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 7 13:00:54 PDT 2003

Chris Brooke wrote:

> > Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> >> this running dog
> >
> > I can't remember the first noun in the phrase now,
> > but "X [scabs?] and
> > running dogs" was widely used in China for a half
> > century or so...
>
> X=
>
> Fellow travellers?
> Lackeys?
> Paper tigers?

"Lackeys and running dogs" is the phrase used over and over again. But the speech by Mao that Kelley located is quite interesting. Looking it up, I discovered that my systematic reading of Mao ended with Vol. III, p. 97, July 20, 1968, and apparently only browsed in the rest of that volume. I never got to Vol. 4, from which the speech quoted by Kelley comes. Ah well.

Carrol