[lbo-talk] crazy?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Oct 8 06:34:31 PDT 2003

At 10:41 PM -0700 7/10/03, R wrote:

>doug's question was an opportunity for "non-americans" to kick some US butt.
>yet everyone's saying, in effect, "what did you expect."
>
>come on, non-americans. give us your best shots. pretend you're french and
>that this is your chance to rat out the anglo-saxon conspiracy. do you
>really want to deal with a US president named arnold schwarzenegger in a few
>years?

Well, we here are in no position to make fun of Americans over this. Tasmania just made former weapons inspector Richard Butler state governor. We'd be thrilled to swap Richard for Arnie, if Californians are interested? Tasmanian governor is a ceremonial position, but technically the Governor has the constitutional power to terminate a state government. Arnie might be just the man for the job and of course there are no elections involved.

I don't know what all the fuss is about though. Surely being a professional actor isn't a disqualification for political office? Actually, Arnie is good value for money as a politician, he'll have to perform for a much smaller fee than usual for the next couple of years and how much worse can California get anyhow. Its already a police state.

As a Non-American I have no problem with Arnie. Maybe it would be a good idea for more non-Americans to be elected to office in The US. Can only raise the quality of politics there if you ask me.

Oh and the Norther Territory government has just appointed folk/country singer Ted Egan as NT Administrator (the equivalent of state Governor in the Territory.) So its all the rage to have big names as governors. California is just going with the trend. Is California Governor an important position then? What are the powers of the office? Can he sack the legislature, like state governors in Australia?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas