[lbo-talk] crazy?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 8 06:30:10 PDT 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>As an American, I can't see anything unprecedented here. Reagan? Ventura?

You're right there's lots of continuity - it's the latest chapter in a long history of hopped-up idiocy. But Reagan, for all his problems, had a history in politics, from the presidency of the Screen Actors Guild through the PR for General Electric through the '64 Goldwater nomination speech. Not Arnie. But it's the idiocy of the recall process that bothers me more - some moneyed rightwingers instigate a pseudo-populist rebellion, and a crypto-Nazi who's likely to rely on the Wilson gang for adult supervision takes over.

Doug