[lbo-talk] Theory Hotline

Cliff Staples clifford_staples at und.nodak.edu
Wed Oct 8 20:59:46 PDT 2003

>Ahhhhh, a crushing refustion of realism. That's the
>signifier of the Phallus! Veddy bad. Now you really do
>sound like Brian S's caricature.

I wasn't making any sort of theoretical point. I'm just tired of the ritualistic trashing of what ignorant people declare to be "postmodern thinking."

>But your particular move, that you
>can't say anything without using words, therefore the
>world is nothing but a text

Sigh. Not only do you put words in my mouth, you put well worn ones at that. I did say, in effect, that you can't say anything without using words.. you dispute this? It would seem self evident. I did not say that this means "...the world is nothing but a text..." That's your.. well, borrowing. It does not necessarily follow, but it serves the purposes of those who would prefer not to deal with the possibility that humans aren't as grounded in the real as some wish to think (and that's all it is: a wish).

So, you want to have a discussion? Fine, let's start with what I said instead of your fantasy of what I said (Sort of an odd position for a hardboiled manly realist to find himself in, don't you think? Making shit up. How real is that?). So, you agree or don't agree that we can't say or know anything without words? Let's get that straight before any more bs.

CLS