[lbo-talk] Theory Hotline

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 07:08:07 PDT 2003

I have been around this block too many times, and I now find the topic dull for the most part. It's funny, btw, that you should object to my drawing the correct inference that you think the world is a text --that is putting words in your mouth -- while blithely accusing me of saying that himans are 'grounded in the real.' Now that is putting words in my mouth! Not only don't I think that, I have no idea what it means. Pomo, phooey, reactionary obscuranist claptrap.

Yes, I think we can know things without words. Nonlinguistic animals know lots of things. My cat knows that I feed her, that this is her house, etc. Mo I don't think we can say things without words. We can, however, represent things without words. That's what pictures do.

I actually have a paper on this: Propositional Attitude Psychology As An Ideal Type, Topoi, 1992. I'll send it to you if you like. What does the question of whether mental representation is linguistic have to do with anything?

Will you knock off the sex-baiting, it's really boring and stupid. It doesn't add or detract the least little bit from the truth value of a proposition to suggest that it is maintained because its holder is in the grip of some sexist delusion. It's partl;y because of that sort of dumb ad hominem, aside from the relentlessly awful prose chock-a-block with glutinous hheartstopping jargon, and the gaps in the argument big enough to drive a semi through, that makes people in philosophy departments think that pomo is worthless.

jks