[lbo-talk] radio Henwood & Levy

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Fri Oct 10 09:25:58 PDT 2003

This discussion seems to miss the fact that it's a weekly radio show, not an academic journal or symposium. People often invite guests on the radio on the basis of reading only one article of theirs, much less having perused their whole oeuvre in their original language. What makes a good guest is timeliness, ability to speak well and say stuff listeners may not have heard. I thought BHL was an absurd, arrogant pretentious prick, but he also had all of those good guest assets. As for your claim not to be "purist" -- I'd point out that some of your "criticisms" of BHL are moralistic and have little to do with substance: "self-promotion" (why is that bad? isn't one major difference between obscure intellectuals and famous ones that the latter have engaged in more self-promotion) and being "in it for the glamour and money" (again, meaningless -- couldn't this criticism be made of anyone who publishes a commercial book, and in any case what is "glamour" exactly and WHY is it a bad thing).

Liza