[lbo-talk] radio Henwood & Levy

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 08:17:59 PDT 2003

I didnt discuss your work in sum. The question concerns a person who has had an long career of self promotion, distortion and inattention to the facts, most of which is available only in French which I seem to recall you saying you don't read very well. You run a show and your decisions can be discussed like everyone else's. You decide Levy is worthy (based on what exactly?) and anyone who questions why is a dour "purist."

Is this "purism" the same sort of "purism" that the entire European left displays in not inviting Levy and "banishing" him to Paris Match and assorted TV programs? Are Le Monde Diplomatique, Liberation, the Manifesto, Politis, Regards, and every other left magazine, movement and forum in Europe also part of this "purist" American left?

So, have you followed his career, the French political scene, and do you know BHL or, to enage in schematic epithets as you seem to like, are you one of those provincial American leftists who thinks he doesnt need to read other languages and know foreign contexts well before rushing to judgement?

> Take a look at the guestlist and tell me if it
displays a weakness for stars with extravagant hair. This is just the sort of purism that makes the American left (oh, right, Carrol Cox says that doesn't exist) so alienating and > marginal. Doug