RES: [lbo-talk] Henwood: Collapse in Cancun

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sat Oct 11 17:52:23 PDT 2003

sorry for header screw-up

Doug wrote:

> Did I say anything that contradicted that? What I said was:

>> South Korea isn't an impoverished country whose population is

>> dominated by a peasantry that would be ruined by opening up to food

>> imports--it makes cars and cell phones. Why shouldn't South Korea

>> import food?

I thought you liked Bové. <http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR24605.shtml> The interests he represents are in a country yet richer than South Korea, and despite that he sees these interests as universal. Why should it be surprising that resistance to capitalist/imperialist globalization in agriculture might come in the first instance from peasants in the more "advanced" countries?

john