[lbo-talk] Re: Black music makes history

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Oct 11 20:38:45 PDT 2003

Grant writes:

"This is contingent on us being aware of everything which is happening and being able to appreciate it. For example, how many people had heard of The Velvet Underground in the 60s, let alone bought their records? The same is partly true for The Doors, since their record sales didn't peak until many years after Jim Morrison's death."

Well, in 1968, we were not allowed to play "Light My Fire" at my eighth grade dance. I liked that song: setting the night on fire seemed like something really worth doing. In L.A., at any rate, the Doors were big and known to pretty much everybody.

Joanna