[lbo-talk] Re: Black music makes history

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 20:49:40 PDT 2003

I am tolerably au courant about songwriters who work in the Porter-Arlen-Gershwins tradition, and I know people who know much more than me, and I can tell you that it's not that there are unknown Cole Porters toiling away in obscurity. Basically, people don't do that sort of stuff at that level anymore.

Jazz: there is a lot of good stuff done at a very high level of technical competence, but the last creative giant in jazz was John Coltrane, and he has been dead for 35 years. And let me tell you that among people who are as into jazz as I am, someone working at that level would be known _instantly._

Likewise with rock, although here I haven't been closely following the new music since my mid-20s (now 20 years ago), but I feel moderately confident in saying that rock has been at best treading water since then. Luke's U2 and REM are OK, Nirvana wasn't bad, but I haven't heard anything in the genre that has gripped me with the force of early Elvis Costello, unless it was Dylan's return to rock with his recent band.

So, I don't buy it. We are in a trough. I think thsi is quite general -- classical music is dead, literature is snoozing, visual art is spotty, philosophy is living off capital, etc.

jks