[lbo-talk] Re: Black music makes history

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 11 20:53:34 PDT 2003

From: "joanna bujes"

> Grant writes:
>
> "This is contingent on us being aware of everything which is happening and
> being able to appreciate it. For example, how many people had heard of The
> Velvet Underground in the 60s, let alone bought their records? The same is
> partly true for The Doors, since their record sales didn't peak until many
> years after Jim Morrison's death."
>
> Well, in 1968, we were not allowed to play "Light My Fire" at my eighth
grade dance. I liked that song: setting the night on fire seemed like
> something really worth doing. In L.A., at any rate, the Doors were big and
known to pretty much everybody.

Sure, that song and several others were international hits. However, at_the_time, The Doors were regarded by the critics as a "kids' band" and widely dissed.

Hey, that sounds familiar doesn't it? ;-)