[lbo-talk] RE: Pollan: The (Agri)Cultural Contradictions of Obesity

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Oct 13 09:46:40 PDT 2003

Brain D writes:

" We are the land where people come to splurge on the things they scrimped on back in the old country. Thus we always have more meat in our entrees, more icing on our cakes, plenty of soda pop and we give the kids whatever the hell they want. Pleasure must increase from generation to generation."

Well said. I often go on field trips with my daughter's school. You would not believe what kids are given for lunch these days: all pre-packaged all-chemical chips, cookies, desserts, ...not a fruit in sight. I'm not hysterically against sugar; it is, after all, the drug of childhood. But, despite full time work and single motherhood, pretty much everything my kids eat is made from scratch -- and having access to farmers' markets, a good butcher, and a good baker,the scratch is pretty good. No problems with obesity, ADHD, mood swings or anything.

I once read about a doctor who, when making housecalls, would first go to shake the cook's hand...for creating his business. Americans have no clue about nutrition, and the fast-food industry through their vast marketing machine are making sure it stays that way.