[lbo-talk] Re: Strauss, Bloom, and Rashomon

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Oct 13 23:33:07 PDT 2003

Has anyone on this thread read the letters of Kojeve and Strauss, to each other? Michael Pugliese

--------

No. I have Kojeve's Intro to Hegel and started it. I stopped reading it after about sixty pages in the section on Hegel's Master-Slave chapter from the Phenomenology of Spirit (or Mind). It was simply easier to read Hegel. I put Kojeve on the shelf next to Hegel and intended to go back of course, but...

Since you mentioned it, I checked and it was edited by Allan Bloom with an editor's introduction---which of course I will have to re-read. Thanks Michael (:{).

Here I am tonight, cruising along on some wine and Advil after wiping out on a curve on my road bike this afternoon, nursing my road rash and sore rib cage---and putting off re-taping my handlebars. In addition to the library copies of Strauss (Natural Rights and History, Political Philosophy, etc), sitting on the desk, while I am watching tv, I have to go back to this damned Bloom thing. And now Strauss and Kojeve. Just fucking great. And Shadia Drury on Kojeve and postmodern politics. Yet a other fucking trace...

I remember somebody, a woman (Andria?) on LBO long ago, who asked if I had read Kojeve. I hadn't. Then a few weeks later, heading back to my place I passed a guy sorting books in a garage with Kojeve's Intro to Hegel setting on top of a box. I bought it from him for fifteen bucks (clean hardbound).

Listen, I also saw another book on Strauss and Carl Schmitt!---in the Doe stacks at UCB.

Anyway, I will keep the note on Strauss and Kojeve. But what I don't want to do is get sucked into some kinko-conspiracy-theory thing---which the Carl Schmitt connection makes just about impossible.... cut to Johnathan Winter noises of flying saucers landing...

Chuck Grimes