[lbo-talk] Slinging California mud onto Wetbacks?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 14 08:23:49 PDT 2003

> Comrades,
>

> I have noticed in the conservative press a line of argument that
suggests
> it is illegal aliens and their children who are responsible for
California's

See: The New Americans: Economic, Demographic, and Fiscal Effects of Immigration http://books.nap.edu/books/0309063566/html/index.html

-
> From the summary:

"Responding to these concerns, Congress in 1990 appointed a bipartisan Commission on Immigration Reform to review the nation's policies and laws and to recommend changes. In turn, the commission in 1995 asked the National Research Council to convene a panel of experts to assess the demographic, economic, and fiscal consequences of immigration. The panel was not asked to answer all the current questions about immigration, let alone to set out alternative policies or to make recommendations among them. Rather, it was asked to lay a scientific foundation for policymaking on some specific issues, to provide as rich a background as possible against which the commission could do its work.

The panel's charge was to address three key questions:

What is the effect of immigration on the future size and composition of the U.S. population? What is the influence of immigration on the overall economy? What is the fiscal impact of immigration on federal, state, and local governments? This report summarizes the panel's work."

Wojtek