[lbo-talk] Re: recall, camejo vote

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:21:58 PDT 2003

You are right that many potential Camejo voters defected because of the Arnold hysteria. Also, KPFA does tend to support the Democratic Party - we will see more of this in the upcoming 2004 election with the ill-conceived 'anybody-but-Bushism' that has led otherwise sane people like Michael Moore to support war-criminal Wesley Clark. Indeed, Camejo complained bitterly that he could not get any coverage on KPFA. There was an effort by some LAB members to have KPFA sponsor a debate, but it was impossible to get any support from the station once it became clear that the Democratic candidate(s) would not participate. However, my point was that even if every person inclined to vote Green in California did vote for Camejo, he would, at an optimistic garner no more than 8-10% of the vote. That is the reality, his support was finite. The fact that he is a whip-smart economist, who founded an investment bank, has a coherent plan etc. counted for little with most California voters.

Joe W.