[lbo-talk] PLEASE HELP THE STRUGGLE FOR ECONOMIC JUSTICE IN SAN FRANCISCO

alex lantsberg wideye at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 08:08:07 PDT 2003

SPAM ALERT!

www.sfminimumwage.org

Hello fellow LBO'ers--

For the past few months I've been working with a coalition of community, faith, and labor groups to establish an $8.50 per hour minimum wage for all workers in San Francisco. We need your contributions to support our field operation and get out the vote in support of this important initiative.

A grassroots campaign to raise the minimum wage was started by those people affected by low wage jobs. In less than two weeks dozens of organizations and hundreds of individuals gathered 26,000 signatures to place the Minimum Wage Ordinance or Proposition L on the San Francisco Ballot.

Should Proposition L be approved by voters, more than 50,000 workers would receive an estimated $2000 more per year into their pockets and their family budgets. Most of the affected workers are Asian, Latino, and African-American, and many are youth. Proposition L also benefits small business owners in San Francisco. The extra income that workers receive will be spent at local businesses.

Although our support is broad and deep, the pockets of our opponents are deeper. Special interests are poised to pour millions of dollars to fight the campaign.

There is now less than one month left to make sure San Francisco is a better place for over 50,000 families.

It is time to Make San Francisco a City for all of its workers. Your donation will make all the difference in this campaign. Together we can improve the lives of thousands of workers and families in San Francisco. The day of the election is fast approaching, and it is urgent that you give today. If you're broke and live in the Bay Area please volunteer some time to phone bank, walk precincts, pass out literature, etc. visit our wesbite: http://www.sfminimumwage.org