[lbo-talk] Black Music Makes History

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Oct 14 11:31:10 PDT 2003

I do not really care what other people are wooed by. You can be wooed by the sound of farting ass, is you so choose. My point is that I (and I presume many other folks) do not want be wooed by anything against my will, cultural expression of something or not. The asshole with the ghetto blaster does that, I dare to say, precisely because it violates other people's boundaries and privacy. It is an act of act of passive aggression that boosts his male ego. If you doubt that, I suggest you see Spike Lee's flick _Do the right thing_ and report back to class what you saw.

Wojtek

^^^^^^^^

CB: Aren't Spike Lee's movies called "joints", not flicks ? Psychoanalyze that for male egoizing :>)

Anyway, although in many cases use of ghetto blasters may boost male egoes, an old school-60's psychoanalysis would have to throw in Black rage as motive too, especially if you are putting it in the context of Radio Rahim's character and "Do The Right Thing ". Actually Radio Rahim didn't really seem to be bothering ghettoites much. He was kinda cool. And Radio Rahim got killed by the cops. That was white "male ego" expression through violence not loud music.

However, I doubt that young Black men will woo old white men to welcome them with open arms just by not blasting loud music at them. There's quite a few other things lots of white men don't like about young Black men.

I'm gonna get 'em to play Chopin softly for you instead, Woj.