[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music Makes History

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 14 13:33:36 PDT 2003

Wojtek wrote:

> I think I should have been a bit more careful in distinguishing music genres (such as hip hop or punk) from their use as assault weapons by the latter-days hooligans.

Okay. That makes it much clearer to me.

> What I should say is that certain types of males engage in various acts of hooliganism aimed to intimidate and violate other people.

True, and sometimes they do it by playing loud music. But the reverse does not hold true: everyone playing loud music is not trying to be a hooligan.

> What I object to is that some of these productions are used as fetishes and assault weapons to make other people toe-in the line i.e. the bible and Christian values it represents being portrayed as the "foundation" of the US statehood, Hollywood-produced entertainment as the epitome of the American culture, or hip-hop as the ultimate expression of "black" experience.

While hip hop culture is not the ultimate expression of black experience, I would certainly argue that if a person wants to have an understanding of present day black experience she should engage with and understand hip hop, as well as gospel, r&b, jazz, etc.

> In the same vain, I object to anyone else blasting their belief system or whatever in my face, from the vehicles traveling on public roads.

What about sound trucks during election campaigns?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister