[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music makes History (and a little bit on Faulkner)

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 14 20:18:23 PDT 2003

Dear List:

Wojtek writes:

> I know a lot of people who are not racist but moved to the burbs because
they were sick and tired of noise, trash and other nuisance they had to put up with. But you declared that it was because of racism.

The argument that it was not out of racism would be believable if those who did move to the suburbs had not passed zoning ordinances meant to keep the lower middle class and poor excluded. Also, suburbanites' refusal to provide low-income housing in the suburbs kinda gives the game away too.

> Because it is being blasted in my face, whether I like it or not.

A car riding down the street is not blasting anything in your face. The driver is probably not even taking you into account.

> But let me reverse this and ask why do you think that it is the black
people whose behavior I object to? Many, if not most, instances of annoying noise I encounter involve white not black males and take place in the vast wasteland of PA suburbs.

Well, the subject of the post you responded to was "Black Music Makes History" and not "Black Music (which is blasted in my face by white males in PA suburbs) Makes History." You also denigrated hip hop which, despite Eminem, is a black thang LOL.

> But I was not arguing about music but about obnoxious male behavior.

Well, I guess I did not see see how a post about the ascendency of black musical artists leads to a post about obnoxious male behavior and the badness of hip hop.

> But there is a difference between Living noises" and blasting someone's
crap into people's faces, whether they like it or not.

To me music coming out of cars is living noise: maybe because I can recognize most of the songs; maybe because I am a Buddhist. I certainly do not see it an affront aimed at me personally (no self to be affronted and all that).

> If you do not see that difference, you should not have problems with
school prayers, and the display of religious symbols in courts and other public places.

Another Wojtek Leap (WL). How you get from me not having a problem with music emanating from cars (drivers enjoying their groove) to presuming that I would have no problem with school prayer and religious symbols in courtrooms (the imposition of religious imperialism) is beyond me. I see no logical connection except you trying to bait/smear me.

Re: Faulkner:

As I reach my limit for the day with this post, I just wanted to say that when I read Absalom! Absalom! for the first time I was amazed at a sequence which went on for a few pages describing Rosa Coldfield racing up a staircase. Faulkner's prose went everywhere, distending time, making a trip that took at most a few seconds seem capacious enough to include the whole history of the Supten family. I was floored. My mother, however, always said you could take a page of Faulkner from the beginning of a story, put it at the end and nobody would know the difference. LOL.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister