[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music makes History (and a little bit on Faulkner)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 10:59:39 PDT 2003

Wojtek wrote:

That total negation of the humanity of others seem to permeate every aspect of life in the US - blasting rap

music is but one tiny aspect of using automobiles as escape or assault vehicles.

...snip...

That form of public interaction in the US is not limited to automobiles. Take the internet. I often browse "have your say" pages that major news agencies (such as Reuters, BBC, or yahoo attach to their news stories. There is a fair amount of strong and controversial opinions expressed there, but the chances are that if such an opinion denigrates or objectifies other people, it is written by a US male.

**********

My oberservations and experiences put me in agreement with Wojtek here.

On the road...

It is clear to me that many Americans, in their present mental state, should not be driving.

My route to work requires that I drive a multi-lane, high speed roadway; a section of I-95. Driving is inherently dangerous; driving at high speeds even more so. Driving at high speed while others are trying to demonstrate the power and maneuverability of their vehicles and, by extension, their importance, is probably the most dangerous on-road situation of all.

Everyday, without exception, I witness near catastrophes brought on by aggression. The regularity of the phenomena is quite remarkable. The SUV situation has been discussed at length by others so I won't go into it except to say that there are many American men behind the wheels of these things who either have a death wish or a child-like belief in their invulnerability.

This is a psychological problem, manifested through machinery. It is also an indication of a near zero level of fellow-feeling and basic consideration for others.

On the Internet...

As the Iraq war loomed, became reality and settled into bloody occupation I followed events on (among other sites) Iraqwar.ru. Although it was not unheard of for people identifying themselves as non-American to make absurd and macabre comments cheering on the deaths of US soldiers and Americans in general it was much more common for proud American men to 'scream' senseless rants about ruling the world, 'towel-heads', 'sand-n-words', 'we're number one' and so on. There was a clear difference in the tone and quality of the typical comment from American and non-American posters.

The resistance to debate and eagerness to put-down is quite remarkable.

Debating...

Because I've done work with multinationals in a consulting role, I've had many opportunities to meet and befriend people from around the world who've come to the US. With few exceptions, I've found these folks to be lively debaters, well informed and capable of handling complex contradictions. One of the best discussions I've ever had on the question of the Israeli occupation was with a Russian emigre, a Jewish guy who's a staunch supporter of Israel. Even so, he was happy to debate the issue with me in a spirit of mutual respect.

And he was very well educated, a strong debating opponent. Not merely a spouter of opinions.

Many of my fellow Americans it seems, are completely unfamiliar with the theory and practice of exchanging views and reaching an understanding of the truth. Of course, this is not limited to America - therefore war and conflict of varying intensity across the globe without pause.

But there is, in my experience and speaking generally of course, a great difference in the appetite for and tolerance of debate between American and non-American people.

DRM