[lbo-talk] Music, was Frankie, Black Music, ect...

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at Adelphia.Net
Thu Oct 16 02:37:14 PDT 2003

Kinda off topic, but I'd like to share some musical gems I've discovered on the non English side of music.

Keep in mind I don't speak any language except English, so these are mostly recommendations based on me enjoying the sounds.

Idir Algerian born French guy...wonderful lends of traditional Algerian music and rock, celtic, techno, and much much more....The best music in my opinion. Sorry I can't find a link, but I'll recommend two songs "Un homme qui n'a pas de frère" and my absolute favorite "Hbabi Ou Jiranna", especially when the bagpipes come in....

Gjallahorn "Gjallarhorn features world music with roots in the Swedish folk music of Finland. A personal and talented echo of the ancient folk music tradition of Scandinavia with its mythical medieval ballads, whirling minuets, prayers in runo-metric chanting and ancient Icelandic rímur epics." http://www.gjallahorn.com (Videos, music clips, ect)

Pink Martini "Pink Martini blends influences from Cuban rumbas to classical chamber music, from Parisian cafe tunes to foreign film soundtracks, creating music that spans the continents." http://www.pinkmartini.com/

Hednigarna Blends Swedish folk with techno beats...wonderful.

Eläkeläiset Weird, Finnish...that's all I gotta say http://www.humppa.com/

Garmarna Oce again, Swedish folk meets world beat---Also one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. http://www.Garmarna.com

I found most of these using http://www.gnod.net --you type in the music you like, and it finds other music for you based on what you tell it...

KRD