[lbo-talk] Russia, anti-Semitism

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 16 03:15:07 PDT 2003

I do think Putin's words do pull weight, since he is so popular. But I would say it's more because of a general decrease in anti-Semitism among the general poulation (which is suprising given that almost all the oligarchs are Jews and mobsters tend to have names ending in "-sky"). In part this is probably because ethnic dislike has a different target -- Caucasians -- who are stereotyped as terrorists and gangsters, which is much worse than being stereotyped as a usurer.

Putin inveighs against extremism (Russian, Muslim, Tatar) constantly. It's one of his recurring themes: "We are a great multiethnic and multiconfessional state. People who try to stir up ethnic and religious hate are the enemies of Russia."