[lbo-talk] Re: recall, camejo vote

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Thu Oct 16 16:01:44 PDT 2003

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > The Hitler stuff comes from Arnie himself - how he admires the guy, etc.
>
>To be fair to Arnie, that Hitler quote thing seems to have been a smear
>job. The original quote from the shelved book proposal seems to have run:
>
> "I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for his way of
> getting to the people and so on. But I didn't admire him for what he
> did with it."
>
>So there's a tiny touch of ambiguity in it. But there's nothing in that
>quote you could hang a guy on. And there doesn't seem to be anything else
>in his (very public) life that corroborates it. They really had to dig
>down low to get this.
>
>Michael Pollak

Taken as an isolated case this might seem true but you are conveniently forgetting his comments about admiration for dictators. His respect for them as strong leaders. Not a touch of ambiguity in those statements. Nothing overtly anti-semitic, but he hardly seems a fan of democracy. I think that's what most peoples concern is not that he's a Nazi sympathizer. To be fair to Arnie, he's a fan of authoritarian dictators and has said so on multiple occasions. He has smeared himself with his own words.

John Thornton