[lbo-talk] 'Democrazy'

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:40:57 PDT 2003

I think you are grossly overreacting. it is clear that democracy is in serious crisis and Treanor offers a cogent critique that I think is good starting point. It's not as though Treanor has the power to issue an edict to end democracy, he offers only some thoughts. I don't think you have to worry about democracy going anywhere anytime soon, indeed, it is on the ascendent at least nominally - but it's state of crisis only continues to deepen.

"Democracy, the modern world's holy cow, is in crisis ... every kind of outrage is being committed in the name of democracy. It has become little more than a hollow word, a pretty shell, emptied of all content or meaning," she said.

"Democracy is the Free World's whore, willing to dress up, dress down, willing to satisfy a whole range of tastes, available to be used and abused at will."

Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market means they are on sale to the highest bidder, (Arundhati Roy) said.