[lbo-talk] literacy

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 08:34:37 PDT 2003

MessageCharles Brown:

"The purpose of public education has always been to prepare most people to do jobs for which not much literacy is needed. The American officials of education have had to design schools to produce poor or failed literacy in most, otherwise the above dilemma would arise."

I tend to agree, and would say the same of private education as well, only there kids are groomed to schmooze and network like their parents, who, in my experience, did it in the hallways of the school after dropping off their kids.

I mean, what kind of corporate social order would want to encourage independent thinking at the grade school or middle school levels? The kids are to be shaped as either manager bees or worker bees, which is why any attempt at the college level to break free of this mindset is attacked by the right as "politicizing" the academy, etc.

DP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20031020/06685d18/attachment.htm>