[lbo-talk] literacy

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Oct 20 11:06:09 PDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> I mean, what kind of corporate social order would want to encourage
> independent thinking at the grade school or middle school levels? The
> kids are to be shaped as either manager bees or worker bees, which is
> why any attempt at the college level to break free of this mindset is
> attacked by the right as "politicizing" the academy, etc.
>
> DP

I'd like to argue just the opposite: a thriving capitalist society requires independent and innovative thought and action. True, lots of deskilling, but also increasing pressure to think of new, profitable ways of doing things. --Granted, that innovative frame of mind does not always apply when people are thinking about capitalism, but capitalism definitely incites individuality and innovation.

Miles